A strong correlation exists between emotions and breathing. People who are anxious or upset breathe rapid, shallow, noisy and irregular breathes.
It’s easier to regulate your breathing than flip a switch on your mood.
Try this technique known as 4-7-8 Breathing:
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge behind and above your front teeth.
- Exhale through your mouth, making a whooshing sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale deeply through your nose to a silent count of 4.
- Then hold your breath for a count of 7.
- Exhale through the mouth to a count of 8, and make the same whooshing sound.
- Repeat for 4 breath cycles.
Do this twice a day and you’ll be amazed by how easily calm washes over you.
Source: Andrew Weil M.D.